Welcome to The Ontario Hummingbird Project!
The goals of The Ontario Hummingbird Project are:
- Identifying migration routes and peak migration dates
- Documenting spring arrival and fall departure dates
- Defining the northern limits of the breeding range
- Locating concentration points
- Studying the nesting cycle
- Documenting rare species visiting Ontario
- Collecting information on nesting locations, popular estimates, reproduction rates and birds returning to the same locality each year
- Latest News and Events
- April 16, 2013
- Get those feeders ready! They are getting close now. After a cold start to spring, migration is now in full swing. With temperatures rising for most of this week, we expect to have our first sightings shortly. Cold weather is expected to return briefly this weekend (April 20th and 21st) for those in Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario. This cold may temporarily halt migration, but a further northward push is likely next Monday and Tuesday.
- March 16, 2013
- Sightings for the 2013 season can now be submitted here. Maps from previous years can still be found in the Migration Map section of our website.
"Had I devoted myself to birds, their lives and plumage, I might have produced something worth doing."
- John Ruskin